Stanley Dock Properties gained planning consent to transform a historic architecturally listed former Victorian pumphouse in Liverpool’s Stanley Dock into a waterfront restaurant capable of seating up to 200 diners.
Liverpool City Council has given the developer detailed planning consent to transform the Grade II* listed Victorian Hydraulic Pumphouse Station into a 4,400 sq ft (410 sq m) destination eatery.
The plans are part of the ongoing £250 million (GDV) regeneration of Stanley Dock area with a hotel, restaurants and new homes. The new restaurant is part of the £120 million (GDV) next phase of works at Stanley Dock.
The Pumphouse interior has four distinct spaces: an entrance hall, boiler room, accumulator tower and engine room. The design enables the restoration of the entrance hall. The main dining space will consist of the boiler room along with a contemporary glazed extension.
“We are currently reviewing the food offering, branding, interior fit out and operator for the new restaurant, to be announced at a later date alongside details of when construction of the new eatery will begin and an anticipated opening date,” Stanley Dock Properties director Pat Power said
The Hydraulic Pumphouse Station at Stanley Dock was designed by Jessie Hartley and originally built in 1854-1855. The Pumphouse overlooks waters of the dock and is adjacent to the historic North Warehouse (built in 1854-1855) which is now the 153 bed Titanic Hotel.
During the Victorian and Edwardian eras, the pumphouse was used to power the lifts, cranes and tobacco press machines in the North and South Warehouses. Between 1949 and 1959 new electronic lifts, forklift trucks and presses were gradually installed in the warehouses so by 1960 the pumphouse became redundant.